that is a shame.
on another note, the United States wronged the Native Americans in so many different ways it isn't something I'm proud to call my countries history.
I am half native american...and I understand that they were told it was not a tie, but , damn!!!
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - School officials are withholding a 17-year-old boy's diploma for wearing a bolo tie under his graduation gown.
Thomas Benya said he prefers the string bolo ties over traditional knotted ties to reflect his American Indian heritage.
But officials from Maurice J. McDonough High School in suburban Washington said they warned him beforehand that a bolo violated the dress code for the event, held Wednesday for about 250 students.
The bolo "was not considered by staff to be a tie," said Katie O'Malley-Simpson, a spokeswoman for Charles County schools. "We have many opportunities throughout the year to express cultural heritage. But we don't do that at graduation."
Benya said he never thought his diploma was at stake, and wore a bolo anyway.
"I did not feel that I should change my heritage for an hour and a half to wear an actual tie to show respect when they aren't showing respect to me," he said.
The spokeswoman said that the school will give Benya his diploma but that he has not set up a meeting to receive it.
The boy's parents said they are considering legal action. His mother, Marsha Benya, cited the long history of Indians being "pushed around," and added: "If he had not stood up for himself, he would have been part of the problem of Native Americans being treated in this way."
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
that is a shame.
on another note, the United States wronged the Native Americans in so many different ways it isn't something I'm proud to call my countries history.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
I give him two thumbs up for standing up for something he believes in!
oh no doubt, I think it was great what he did....I just don't understand how the school can justify the rules that they had about it, apparently they knew it was something that people wanted to do or they would not have made a rule against it. I just can't figure how they decided that a bolo tie is not a tie.
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
Bookmarks